Thursday, November 6, 2008

The Seoul Train Part 1: Stargazer Gets Kimchi-fied!

Greetings with my breath condensing as soon as it leaves my mouth, my knees knocking and my hands freezing in 8 degrees on a windy day so my hands are shoved into the deep pockets of the thickest trench coat I have ever had to wear in my entire life.

I arrived in Seoul at around 6PM on the second day of November so it has been 4 days that I have been living in an apartment in Gwangju (an hour away by bus from the office in Seoul), cannot be reached by cellphone, wearing knitted sweaters, tights, knee-high boots and trench coats, eating spicy (and surprisingly good) food and having to take a bath with heated water.

I love the weather and the city is cool (literally) so this afternoon I took a walk around the city by myself. I was careful not to go too far from the office as I might get lost and I might not be able to get back. Hahaha...


My team is planning to go sight-seeing this weekend and KK has promised to bring us to an amusement park. He was surprised when I told him I like to ride roller coasters and such. He was surprised that I smoke and have been for the past ten years. Do I really look THAT conservative? Imagine me, being conservative. What a hoot!

During my walk, I had several residents (of other cities, most probably) come up to me and talk to me, presumably asking me for directions (they had maps of the subway and some other maps of the country). They stopped and bowed, apologizing with words I did not understand when they saw the huge question mark in my eyes. On the plane, the flight attendants would speak to me in Korean first before switching to English after seeing the baffled look on my face. Eerrr... I know I have small eyes and I dress pretty much like a typical Korean girl but my complexion is about ten shades away from the usual. Still, it's funny.

While was walking around, I went inside several convenience stores to ogle all the things that are "fast"...and bad for the health. I got some Lotte Peparo, which are similar to the more Pinoy-familiar Pocky pretzel sticks (but those are from Japan). I got one each of "lemon cream", "chocolate filled", "chocolate covered" and chocolate covered with crushed almonds. It tasted GREAT! I also got some Chilsung Cider (a caffeine-free soda similar to sprite but tastes more like Mountain Dew with more lime flavor), a 200-ml carton of strawberry milk, and a 330-ml bottle of "rice tea". Hehehe...

Anyway, I'll be updating my blog and my flicker. Until I get my multiply site up, I won't be posting pics. So just swing by my flicker account. :)

Nyt nyt!

-o-o-o-o-o-

Listening to: Just Fine - Mary J. Blige

"Feels so good, when you’re doing all the things that you want to do
Get the best out of life, treat yourself to something new
Keep your head up high
In yourself, believe in you, believe in me
Having a really good time, I’m not complaining
And I’m a still wear a smile if it rainingI got to enjoy myself regardless
I appreciate life, I’m so glad I got mine"

No comments: